The Moving Image Source Research Guide is a gateway to the best online resources related to film, television, and digital media.
- CRITICISM AND THEORY (163)
- HISTORY AND STYLES (503)
- INDUSTRY (113)
- PEOPLE (152)
- TECHNOLOGY AND CRAFT (83)
Browse by Type of Resource
- Academic Associations (14)
- Administrative Bodies (24)
- Archives - Africa (2)
- Archives - Americas (23)
- Archives - Asia Pacific (8)
- Archives - Europe (15)
- Article Search Tools (76)
- Bibliographies (109)
- Databases (58)
- Foreign-Language (12)
- Foreign-Language (With English Content) (33)
- Full-Length and Short Films Online (66)
- Media Resources (43)
- Online Archives of Non-Film Materials (33)
- Online Archives, Collections, and Exhibitions (55)
- Online Collections Catalogs (61)
- Online Film and Media Journals (67)
- Photos (80)
- Reference (186)
- Scripts (4)
Filter Resource List
Categories in Movie Theaters
- Cinema Context
A resource on film distribution and exhibition in the Netherlands. Cinema Context has complete-as-possible records of every screening in a major Netherlands city since 1896.
- Cinema Treasures
Devoted to the cause of movie theater preservation, this site covers nearly 16,000 theaters and has over 1,500 photos from roughly 60 countries.
35,351 cinemas and 42,209 photos in the database.
- Grace Street Theater: Seventy Years of Film and Dance
A richly documented history of one theater in Richmond, Virginia.
- Mandel Sprachman: Movie Theaters in Canada
An online exhibit about the building and restoration of notable movie theaters in Toronto.
- National Association of Theater Owners Statistics
A set of lists summarizing yearly American grosses, film attendance, and active film screens. The group also rates the popularity of various theater chains.
- National Film and Sound Archive Collection Spotlights
These themed online exhibitions help users explore the collection of the Australian Film and Sound Archive. There are many moving image-focused materials, including stills of famous Australian movie theaters, information about notable film and TV personalities, and information about the archive's own restoration of two Australian films, Jedda and The Story of the Kelly Gang.
- Silent Film Bookshelf
Curated by David Piece, this site reprints original documents from the silent film era. Includes reprints of historical reviews and magazine articles about the industry, as well as information about musical accompaniment of silent films, articles on famous theaters (such as the Roxy Theater in New York), and much more. Active through 1999.
- Stories from Ontario's Movie Theatres
This online exhibit draws from the Archives of Ontario's theatre regulatory files to explore the history of film exhibition in Ontario.
- UCSD Chinese Cinema Web-based Learning Center
An introductory site on the history of Chinese cinema by scholar Yingjin Zhang. The site provides a wide variety of information concerning Chinese cinema, as well as statistics, capsule descriptions of important films, and short biographies of Chinese filmmakers.